Saturday, 4 April 2009

New Beginnings

Time seems to have flown by since our last blog posting! It has been an action-packed month, starting with a great trip to Oman at the start of March, followed by Will temporarily taking on the reins at TM and me finishing one job, then starting another. Today is Friday, a day off, and a welcome opportunity to rest and catch up with ourselves.

We came back from Oman warmed by the gulf sun and feeling ready for a bit of spring weather. Fortunately we were in luck, as a warm breeze had moved in to replace the cold winter air while we were away. The weather stayed like this for several days after we got back, reminding me of the British summer. Then, in true British style, the rains came. At one point last week we were lying in bed wondering if the mud roof over our heads might not fall in with the weight of water! The Kabul River is fuller than I have ever seen it and the air is for once dust-free. It is all a good sign that the drought which has plagued Afghanistan for most of the last decade is on its way out!

With the rain the gardens of the fort where we live have suddenly burst back to life. Tulips and daffodils are blooming, and beautiful apricot and apple blossoms scent the air. Pahlawan the dog is enjoying his new bed - the bushy carpet of green lawn that has risen up out of the winter mud. The city too seems to have sprung into life. A whole row of mini gardening centres appeared overnight on the side of one of the city’s main roads. Afghans, it seems, love to tend to their gardens. I’m sure that thirty years of peace following the past thirty years of strife would give them the opportunity to bring this once bountiful garden of Asia back to its former glory.

My new job involves creating a curriculum to teach subject-related English to students of Science. I also have to train two young graduates in teaching methodology. It’s going to be a great challenge, and I’m already enjoying it. The young Afghans that I work with are inspirational, and the other ex-pats on the team are great fun.

Before I started my new job, I finished off my work in the primary school of the old city where Turquoise Mountain is restoring historic buildings. One of the highlights of each day that I had worked there were the school pupils who were always immaculately turned out – the boys in their blue shirts and red bow ties, the girls in their dark blue tunics and pale blue headscarves. I relished the opportunity to teach them, and correct some of their mis-pronounced English (“halla harraya” – “hello, how are you” being one example). I taught them English for three lessons, eagerly pulling every teaching trick that I could think of out the bag in a mission to demonstrate some Western techniques to the teachers who were observing. Having observed them teach myself, I knew that I had to match their impressively high standard. Honestly though, I think they probably thought that I was slightly mad when I started singing ‘Heads, shoulders, knees and toes’ in front of the pupils, followed by a game of monster drawing to practise numbers and parts of the body. Never mind! The funniest part for me was the fact that the teachers kept shouting out the answers every time I asked the pupils a question!! They were keen, I’ll give them that!

When I left, we went for lunch in a local restaurant. After our meal of Kabuli Pilau (rice & mutton) and mantu (beef-filled ravioli), they very kindly presented me with some jewellery and a certificate. I am touched by their generosity, and will remember them always with fondness, particularly when I look at the certificate, copied below:

Mir’s Lucy Burnhel,
The Principal of the school is pleased to award this certificate for all the hand works for Afghan people who suffered decades of civil war and wishes you a prosperous future career in all new Afghan educational departments.

No comments: